Shih Tzu Characteristics Facts
| | 15 July, 2020 | 0
- The Shih Tzu breed is a small dog breed loved by many people. Although they are small, they have an extremely durable structure. These dogs reached an extreme popularity level in the imperial times of the Chinese state. At that time, the sale of this breed to Europe was prohibited. They first emerged from the Chinese empire in 1930.
- Shih Tzu dog, which became a popular dog by spreading in England in 1930, gained the love of the US soldiers during the II. World War and accompanied it with the soldier after the end of the war and started to travel to the USA, where it gained a greater reputation and spread to the world.
Shih Tzu Facts
- The most prominent feature of the Shih Tzu dog is its long feather.
- Shih Tzu, whose shoulder is 27-28 cm above the ground, weighs in the range of 4-7 kg.
- These dogs, which can be used as “ornamental dogs”, can easily live in small apartments as they are small in size.
- Shih Tzu can damage furniture in the house when they are left alone for a long time.
- The tip of its nose is very small and the nose is long haired.
- This dog, which can have different colors, has a brown nose especially in red ones.
- The eyes of these animals are big and there is a distance between the two eyes.
- Ears are low and covered with feathers. The back is straight and higher than the body.
- Shih Tzu is normally an active dog but if allowed, it can lie and laze all day in its favorite places. It should be encouraged to go out and move to keep its form. Daily short walks are enough. It should not be overfed since it is prone to weight gain.
- Shih Tzu is a vigilant and brave dog.
- It has a smart and stubborn character.
- It is cheerful, durable and sometimes arrogant.
- Although it usually gets along well with children, it can bite when irritated or surprised.
- It has a playful structure.
- It warms up quickly to strangers and always wants to be with people.
- In general, this species gets along very well with other domestic animals.
- Giving toilet training in the home can take some time but Shih-Tzu responds to a determined and patient training.
- It is a good watchman and likes to bark. However, it is generally quiet inside the home.
- These dogs are generally quiet inside the house.
- These dogs generally get along with children. However, if there is an unpleasant move, it can become aggressive.
Shih Tzu Care
- During the care of Shih Tzu, its feather should be taken care of for at least 30 minutes and be well combed.
- When the feather on the head is not cut, it can be collected with the help of a tiny buckle. Thus, Shih Tzu will see more easily. However, very tight and nylon /sticky buckles should not be used. This can cause problems with the dog’s feather and skin.
- When the Shih Tzu breed goes home after a stroll outside, its paws and trunk must be wiped. In addition, it is very important to clean the dust that has escaped into the feather by brushing.
- Shih Tzu dog’s nails are not suitable for cutting at home. Because the nails of the Shih Tzu genus are very close to their flesh.
What do Shih Tzu Eat?
The most important detail in the nutrition of Shih Tzu is that they are not given food leftovers. Instead of using dog food specially produced for the Shih Tzu dog will be more beneficial for their health. These dogs are generally healthy, but like other dog breeds, certain diseases can be seen in these dogs. Shih Tzu owners need to be careful with these diseases. It is useful to be careful against diseases such as bladder infections, kidney diseases and eye diseases.
Scientific classification of Shih Tzu Characteristics Facts
Shis Tzu is more of a loving, affectionate house dog, who loves his master and follow him and other family members from one room to the other. They don’t make much noise and because of their friendly and outgoing behavior, can mingle with other dogs and human beings very easily. But, they can be really stubborn when they are undergoing dog training sessions. It is better to train the breed from the early years so that he/she learns the basic commanding orders.
The exact origin of the Shih Tzu breed is still not known by people. But, it is believed that they have originated in Tibet, and then was transferred to China for further development.
Since the breed is known to suffer from certain diseases like breathing problems, eye sight issue, ear infections, hypothyroid, anemia etc, the diet must be chosen very carefully. It is better to consult a vet
With the life span of 10 to 20 years, a female Shih Tzu becomes ready for pregnancy at 8 or 9 months. The female dog is very receptive to the male dog’s desire to mate. The gestation period might vary from 56 days to 63 days.