Cat Facts Characteristics
| | 7 July, 2020 | 0
- There are over 500 million domestic cats that breed from 33 different breeds in the world. Cats are the sleepiest animals among all mammals. They spend an average of 16 hours of sleep each day. From this point of view, a seven year old cat spends only two years of its life.
- All cats come from one species; however, there are many breeds in this species. The most evident of the cat’s distinctive qualities is that it has managed to maintain its independence even though it has been domesticated for thousands of years. Generally, cats are divided into two big groups; long feather cats and short feather cats.
- Cats were thought to have been tamed in Ancient Egypt 4,000 years ago. A new study in 2013 found traces of the presence of domestic cats in China about 5300 years ago.
- Some types of cats are as follows; British Shorthair, Blue Russian Cat, Van Cat, Siamese cat, Scottish Fold, Persian cat, Bengal cat, Sphinx cat, Chinchilla Cat, Ankara cat, Norwegian Forest Cat, Ragdoll Cat.
- The brains of cats are 90 percent similar to those of humans. The conceptual computing part of the brain is more advanced in cats than in dogs.
- There is no part in the genes of cats to feel the taste of sweet food. Even if they eat sweet, they cannot feel its taste.
- Cats spend 30 to 50% of their time to clean themselves.
- The cat’s body is extremely flexible, graceful, quick and extremely effective for hunting prey.
- The strongest muscles are located on the back, hind legs, neck and shoulders.
- Thanks to this structure, cats are very agile.
- The cat’s nails are curved and very pointed, very convenient to catch prey.
- Cat’s teeth twice during their lifetime: Twenty milk teeth fall out when they are about six months old and replace them with thirty permanent teeth.
- Cats occasionally rub their nails on hard surfaces and renew the worn outer plates. Usually there are five fingers on the front legs and four fingers on the hind legs.
- The tongue of the cat is long, flat and rough. Thus, it can lick and clean all the meat on a bone. It also uses its tongue for body cleansing.
- Hairless places on the cat’s body are only the nose, the lower part of the foot, the anus and the nipples. The feathers are seasonal and are renewed every spring.
- Female cats can mate as long as they allow. The neutered cat never allows men to mate.
- The reason why the cat’s eye glows at night is a layer that reflects the light behind the retina only in felines and some wilds. (Tapetum Lucidum)
- The body of cats is shaped from 290 bones.
- The heart of cats beats around 130 per minute.
- The first cat show was held 200 years ago.
- Cats never like swimming and water.
- Cats leap up to about 5 times their own height.
- Cats dream like humans and dogs.
- Cats love the smell of chlorine while they hate the citrus scent.
- Average body weights are between 4-6 kg. The heaviest cat detected has a weight of 21,297 Kg.
- Cats can never feel sweet flavors.
- Cats were able to make themselves love about 12% of the people in the world.
- Cats can easily drink sea water.
- Three and more colored cats with mixed feathers are female.
- They like to hang out alone except for mating. Herd psychology is not seen in cats as in dogs.
- A kitten is an adult at the age of 1, but can mate at the age of 5 months and give birth at the age of 7 months.
- The highest cat has climbed 4478 meters in the Alpine Mountains.
- Cats have 185 degrees of view.
- Over 7,000 cat population is formed in 7 years from a neutered fence cat and their kittens.
- Although the feather is a problem for cat-feeders, the only hairless cat breed is Sphynx.
- Cats are most prone to kidney diseases.
- Contrary to common belief, Toxoplasma which causes miscarriage is not only transmitted from cats.
- Cats have a unique language. When a cat mutter, it means happy.
- Cats only meow to humans, they cannot meow to other cats.
- Their faces are extremely meaningful; it can express feelings of anger, pain, fear and happiness.
- Ears leaning forward are signs of anger.
- The cat is a very cautious animal; but when it faces danger, it does not escape; it stays where it is, hunching its back and holding the head to look bigger.
- Cats like to be caressed. Only some cats do not allow this.
Scientific classification of Cat Facts Characteristics
Female kittens can mate at the age of five months.
Cats do not have limited mating evolution like dogs; during the spring and summer, they can be in a heat period every few weeks.
Each period of heat lasts from a few days to three weeks.
At the end of a gestation period, each father of the offspring can be different; because the female can become pregnant several times during the heat period.
The average gestation period is 58-62 days. After this period, 4-5 kittens are usually born.
Kittens whose eyes are closed for ten days should not be touched when they are one or two days old.
Adult male cats should be kept away from newborn kittens; because they can harm offspring.
The mother breastfeeds its kittens for two months.