Buffalo Habitat Characteristics Facts
| | 10 July, 2020 | 0
- The buffalo is described as one of the largest mammals living on land and in the ungulates family. The name of the buffalo in Latin is Bovini. Millions of buffaloes once lived on the North American continent. Buffalo, also known as the English bison is a buffalo native to North America. It was the most important source of life for Indians for thousands of years. However, during the construction of the railway line connecting the eastern and western coasts of America between 1867 – 1868, they faced the danger of being erased from the earth.
- Efforts to protect the buffalo saved them from extinction. There are now several hundred thousand buffaloes in America, mostly in national parks and their number is growing every year. The biggest of these parks is the Custer state park in South Dakota State.
- Buffalo species include the Asian Buffalo, the African Buffalo and the African Jungle Buffalo. There are feather and feeding differences according to their
- The structure of the horns of all types of buffaloes is different.
- In African buffalo, they are relatively short, Indian buffalo horns are very long.
- Females are 1.5 times smaller than males, have short horns or no horns at all.
- The wool of all buffalo species is short and rare, only long hairs at the end of the tail.
- The colors of buffaloes are generally black. In Asian species, its legs are lighter than the trunk.
- In general, buffaloes are ineffective and lazy, they move with a heavy step. It is mobile only in case of danger but their speed can be up to 57 km / h.
- The distinctive feature of these animals is that they are myopic. Buffaloes have an average weight of 850 kilograms.
- The buffaloes are herbivores and very big and very powerful.
- These animals generally act collectively.
- The structure of the horns in all buffalo species is different.
- In the buffalo, sexual dimorphism is well expressed. Females are 1.5 times smaller than males, have short horns or no horns at all.
- The wool of all buffalo species is short and rare, just a brush made of long hairs at the end of the tail.
- The colors of buffaloes are generally black. In Asian species, its legs are lighter than the trunk. Buffaloes are the inhabitants of hot countries. African buffalo lives are observed in savannahs and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Buffalo Asian herds can sometimes be up to 100 animals. Indian buffalo herds live in groups of 5-10 people. The African buffalo lives in herds of 300-400 animals, up to 1,000 in the old days of herd.
- Asian species are located near long water bodies to graze at night and twilight and live in the mud in the afternoon. African buffaloes also have a similar daily routine, but they spend more time to ruminate at noon.
- These animals are usually immobile, they live in a relatively limited area near the water when they do not migrate. When they have to flee, they turn to face their enemies and stand face to face. The cold temper of the buffalo is exaggerated, they usually act peacefully and try to escape danger. It is often known as dangerous animals that stay away from main herds.
- Such animals can even attack elephants or attack a native buffalo herd. A lone buffalo has the chance to be attacked by lions, but the buffalo roaming in flocks is almost impossible to attack. The distinctive feature of these animals is myopia, but the sense of smell is well developed. But if they smell it, they immediately attack.
- Buffaloes are the inhabitants of hot countries. African buffalo lives are observed in savannahs and sub-Saharan Africa.
- These animals are usually immobile, they live in a relatively limited area near the water when they do not migrate.
- It is one of the big guns and wild animal species that are abundant in the southern part, especially in the African continent.
- Some species of these animals live in water.
- The anger of the buffalo is exaggerated, they usually act peacefully and try to escape danger.
- These animals can even attack elephants or attack a native buffalo herd.
- They are quite dangerous and aggressive.
- Buffaloes are animals that cannot be tamed.
Scientific classification of Buffalo Habitat Characteristics Facts
A buffalo is found all over the world, though the buffalo is mainly found in North America and great bear lake in Canada, The Mexican states, The east of the Atlantic sea board, North Carolina, and many more. Buffalos are also found around Asia and are categorized under different names. It is the largest animal in America. They also are found in areas that are not too steep or too slippery.
A buffalo is purely vegetarian and feeds on green wild grass. They are seen to graze in the hilly grassy areas as well as beside Rocky Mountains and pastures. They always roam around in groups. Domestic buffalos are also fed with grains and different kinds of vegetables thus they tend to be heavier than wild buffalos.
• Reproduction in buffaloes usually takes place in late summer.
• In this process, the mating buffaloes can give birth to a maximum of 2 babies.
• The priority of buffalo living in herd is always offspring.
• Protection of offspring is of great importance for adult buffaloes.