Australian Shepherd Characteristics Facts
| | 11 July, 2020 | 0
Although it is thought to be an Australian breed due to its name, the Australian Shepherd Dog has US origins. This breed, which was used by the shepherds in the western parts of the USA to protect herd, is still used for the same job today. There is no clear information about its origins and production. However, according to one theory, the ancestors of these dogs are thought to have come to the US with sheep from Australia. Developed by crossbreeding by shepherds, this breed is both very strong and extremely popular.
Australian Shepherd Facts
- Males Australian Shepherd Dogs, which can reach 39 kilograms in weight and 58 centimeters in length; Females can reach 25 kilograms in weight and 53 centimeters in height.
- Australian Shepherd Dogs, which have a longer life than other shepherd dogs, can live between 12 and 15 years.
- The Australian Shepherd Dog has black red, white, red and brown shades and can be easily trained.
- The Australian Shepherd Dog is smart, pleasant and loyal.
- The Australian Shepherd Dog can exhibit incredibly aggressive and aggressive behavior if the required exercise needs are not met. Especially it causes loud barking and destructive movements.
- Australian Shepherd Dog always needs wide open space. For this reason, it is recommended that families with this dog have a house with a garden. It will be more difficult for them to live in accordance with the apartment life. Because the Australian Shepherd Dog will always want a shed of its own.
- An adult and healthy female is expected to give birth to 7 puppies. This figure can vary from 6 to 9.
- If these dogs are not given a strong advantage, they can take on a dominant role.
- This breed, which has begun to strive to rule and manage the people around it, is not a suitable choice for people who will breed dogs for the first time because of this feature.
- As with all shepherd dogs, the Australian Sheepdogs, which have a loyal character, warn their owners with a very loud voice against the dangers they see and the strangers. This breed, which has a very high tone, is not suitable for feeding in the home.
- These animals are an excellent guard dog. It is bold and reliable. It is very successful in obedience and herding. It usually accepts a single person as the owner.
- The Australian Shepherd Dog, which is careful and cautious towards people they do not know by nature, is an extremely good guardian feature. For this reason, it will need to be well trained in order not to be aggressive towards foreigners.
How to Groom an Australian Shepherd?
The question of how to groom an Australian Shepherd is a frequently asked topic. In general, the following methods can be tried:
- Australian Shepherd dog requires grooming.
- Brushing occasionally with a solid brush will be sufficient.
- The need for screening will increase in seasonal transitions alone.
- It should also be washed occasionally.
- This type may have serious health problems such as hip dislocation, deafness, cataracts, coronary heart disease.
- As with any dog, it is absolutely necessary to conduct socialization studies with people at an early age in this breed. Thus, you can prevent aggression and aggression when it grows.
How to Train an Australian Shepherd?
Trained Australian Shepherd is a highly curious animal. Australian Shepherd training can generally be done as follows:
- The Australian Shepherd dog needs to be busy at all times because it has high energy. Especially, playing between 30 and 60 minutes a day will protect the dog’s health. You can usually perform games with take-away activities. It should also be noted that he is a master Frisbee.
- They will do wonders with the socialization and obedience training that started in the early period. The high energy they have in the training of this breed should be considered and activities should be included.
- Australian Shepherd, who enjoys pleasing people, also always responds positively to education with its extroverted characters.
- Only the instincts to protect their areas can cause problems in terms of their relations with foreigners after general education, but this is a problem that can be solved with regular and consistent socialization trainings.
Scientific classification of Australian Shepherd Characteristics Facts
The fascinating shepherd is found in the Western US. The life spans of Aussies are 12 to 16 years. It is typically found as a family member of every family in United States.
Australian shepherds perform well on diets that consist of oats, poultry, lamb, wheat and potato. The reasons behind the mentioned diets are easy to groom, and it needs brushing only for sometimes and as required bathing. For featured or longer coats, brushing is very essential to assist avoid tangling and matting.
Shepherds have an average of 7 puppies pre litter. When choosing a mate for your shepherd, verify bloodlines for hip dysplasia, eye problems, and thyroid problems. It is not preferable to breed two merle shepherds together, because, this enhances the opportunity if deafness, blindness and other health disorders in the offspring.